Please visit PublicVue to report aircraft noise.
Voluntary Noise Abatement Procedures
Noise Advisory Goals
The Goals for the Santa Barbara Airport Aircraft Noise Advisory Program are as follows:
- Provide the region with facilities for access to the National Air Transportation System using the newest, quietest aircraft available.
- Maintain a continuing dialogue between the Airport, Airport users, and the surrounding community through the Aircraft Noise Advisory Program.
- Achieve airport operations that are compatible with the surrounding communities.
What are the rules regarding how low an aircraft can fly over a residential area?
Aircraft altitude is established by Federal law. Title 14, Coder of Federal Regulations Section 91.119 which governs flight states: "Except when necessary for takeoff of landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitude: Over any congested area of a city, town or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft."
It is important to be aware of two aspects of this regulation. First, most aircraft operating in the vicinity of the Santa Barbara Airport are in the process of landing or taking off, thus this regulation does not apply. Second, helicopters are specifically exempted from this Federal regulation.
My concern really isn't noise, it's safety. Who should I contact?
Specific safety complaints should be filed with the Federal Aviation Administration Flight Standards District Office at (818) 267-3300. Noise complaints can be filed online via PublicVue .
Noise and Land Use Compatibility Plan
A copy of the airport noise and land use compatibility plan update can be viewed at the following locations:
- Santa Barbara Airport Administration Office 601 Firestone Rd, Santa Barbara CA. 93117
- Santa Barbara Main Library, 40 East Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara, CA. 93101
- Goleta Branch Library 500 N. Fairview Avenue, Goleta CA. 93117
To submit an aircraft noise complaint, visit:
SBA PublicVue Portal: Web-Based Noise Complaint Entry and Flight Tracking
Automated Noise Advisory Hotline Number for registering a complaint: 805-967-1900
For questions about flying the noise abatement procedures:
Contact Kellie Reed at email@example.com, or 805-692-6011.